Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Walking in My Mother's Footsteps


I grew up around my mom who sewed nonstop! She was an amazing seamstress! She made anything from a simple pillow cover to a wedding dress! She was incredible! I can't say that enough!

This is my beautiful Mommy and myself :)
I lost my mom, my best friend, to a cancer battle a little over 3 years ago. It was the worst thing that has ever happened to me! But I know that she is in a much better place now and is waiting for me to join her.

When she passed she willed all of her belongings to me. All of her sewing equipment and everything came home with me. When I was little she was always trying to get me to sew and I just didn't think it was cool b/c my mom was doing it. :) Don't we all go through that as children? Anyway, I decided a few months back to dust off that old sewing machine and give it a whirl. I have had hardly any experience in sewing (besides just watching my mom) and so I asked my mother-in-law and a friend to help teach me the basics.  I ended up making 9 pillows for my couch and window bench in my living room and curtain panels! I was so proud of myself and just knew my mom would be proud too. :)

Since then I have put that sewing machine up and haven't thought much about it...until just the other day!   I was thinking of all sorts of things I could make...place mats for my kitchen table, cloth diapers and wipes, a car seat cover one that replaces the car seat cover on there now and then another type of cover that goes over top that doesn't block the handle yet shields baby from rain, snow, wind, light when they are sleeping. Coolest invention ever! (not invented by me obviously HA) I just really feel like if I don't try I won't know if I can really truly sew just like my mom. My mom had many many years experience and I'm for sure getting a late start on that but I think I could do it.

I received a lot of characteristics from my mom (dad too) and I am proud of most of them (there is always that one that you wish you didn't have from both parents right...lol). I always strive to be more like she was! I hope that one day I can make her even more proud of me by my increase interest in sewing. I know with practice I can get better. The good news now is I'm ready to really try! She would be so proud!

I miss you mommy!

<3 Julie

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad I got to know your Mom just a little! She was truly amazing and you are certainly a reflection of her in all the good ways! You are the Christian wife for Brett that we prayed many years for. My life has been greatly enriched because you are part of it! Kathy

    ReplyDelete